Gwinnett Tech Awards Scholarships to Top Technical Education Students
High School Technical Education Students & Teachers Honored
Gwinnett Technical College has awarded scholarships to the county's top technical education students, honoring four winners and technical education students and teachers from each county high school at a campus banquet this week.
This annual recognition, which names the county's Technical Education Students and Teachers of the Year, takes place in February, during Technical Education Month. The banquet was held on Monday, February 25, at the Busbee Center at Gwinnett Technical College.
The recognition process began at each local high school with teachers nominating outstanding students in the technical education program. Nominated students then submitted a portfolio to a review committee, which was composed of Gwinnett Tech instructors. As part of the process, the nominated student selects a teacher from their local school who he/she feels had the most impact on their preparation for postsecondary training and/or the workforce. The program recognizes a student from each high school, including Buford High, but culminates in the selection of four county-level winners who are awarded a scholarship from Gwinnett Tech.
This year's county honorees are:
- Camly Nguyen of Meadowcreek High, First Place and Teacher Debbie Grant of Meadowcreek High
- Thomas Terrell of Grayson High, Second Place and Teacher Charles Kachmar of Grayson High
- Joshua Garriss of Grayson High Technical Education Program, Third Place and Teacher Janet Felts of Grayson High Technical Education Program
- Chance Belcher of Maxwell High School of Technology, Fourth Place and Teacher Abdul Roux of Maxwell High School of Technology
The first place winner earned a $1,000 scholarship, while the three other county winners each received a $500 scholarship. Prior to their recognition at the county level, the four students were honored as their local school's winner. Other local school honorees included:
- Michael Pantelakis of Berkmar High and
Teacher Gail Green of Berkmar High
- Deborah Greason of Brookwood High and
Teacher Janet Blouin of Brookwood High
- Jasmine Dixon of Central Gwinnett High and
Teacher Alyene Burnett of Central Gwinnett High
- Larinska Urbano of Collins Hill High and
Teacher Mary Ann Hale of Collins Hill High
- Yvonne Monsalve of Dacula High and
Teacher Heather Williams of Dacula High
- Ashley Donau of Duluth High and
Lisa Dangler of Duluth High
- Corey Brown of Mill Creek High and
Teacher Kristy Heath of Mill Creek High
- Lindsey Summer of Norcross High and
Teacher Jenelle Smith of Norcross High
- Katelyn Siegel of North Gwinnett High and
Teacher Dr. Jacqueline Huffman of North Gwinnett High
- Grace Burke of Parkview High and
Teacher Tammy Thomas of Parkview High
- Ryan Brown of Peachtree Ridge High and
Teacher Eric Stoker of Peachtree Ridge High
- Dezman Ramsey of Shiloh High and
Teacher Dr. Sidney Rabsatt of Shiloh High
- Crisi Livermore of South Gwinnett High and
Teacher Tara Haynes of South Gwinnett High
This is the second year that Gwinnett County's top technical education students and teachers were honored through this program.
For more information about enrollment at Gwinnett Tech or about any of the college's more than 45 program options, call 770-962-7580.
Get the latest news about Gwinnett Tech www.gwinnetttech.edu/news.