Welcome to the Gwinnett Tech online newsroom, featuring facts and stats about the college, plus our history, a media archive and photos for download. If you are a member of the media needing information, contact email@example.com or call 678-495-3638.
October 09, 2008
Gwinnett Tech Students Make the Grade on National Exams
Health Science & Public Safety Grads Post Top Marks on Credentialing Tests
Gwinnett Tech students in Health Science and Public Safety and Service programs continue to make the grade at the national level, posting nearly perfect results on a host of recent national exams.
The most recent high performers include students from the Surgical Technology, Radiologic Technology, Respiratory Care, Veterinary Technology, Paramedic Technology, EMT & Medical Assisting programs. Graduates from each of these programs take a national exam specific to their field, posting these exceptional pass rates:
- Radiologic Technology100%
- Respiratory Care100%
- Surgical Technology93%
- Medical Assisting100%
- Veterinary Technology100%
- Paramedic Technology100%
"Gwinnett Tech students continue to post impressive results on the national certification exams for their fields. We couldn't be prouder of their commitment to their education and career, and we remain dedicated to our role in preparing them for these career milestones," says Dr. Jan McClure, Health Sciences division director, Gwinnett Tech.
Other notable results from these programs:
- Gwinnett Tech's Surgical Technology program, which also had a 100 percent participation rate on the national certification test, ranks among the top 20 of the 435 accredited surgical technology programs in the country, a status earned by student scores on the most recent Program Assessment Exam (PAE).
- The college's Veterinary Technology program has had a 100 percent pass rate on the Veterinary Technician National Examination since the first class of graduates sat for the exam in 1999.
- In the Medical Assisting program, both December and June graduates earned a 100 percent pass rate for the national certification exam offered by the Certifying Board of the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), far exceeding the national pass rate for the exam.
- Gwinnett Tech students' 100 percent pass rate on the National Registry of EMT (Intermediate) exam far exceeds the national first-time pass rate of 70 percent. Students taking this exam were part of the Gwinnett County Fire Department training program.
Gwinnett Tech offers associate of applied science degrees in Veterinary Technology, Radiologic Technology, Respiratory Care and Paramedic Technology, and diploma programs in Surgical Technology, Medical Assisting and in Firefighting/EMT. The college's Health Sciences division also offers programs in bioscience, dental lab technology and dental assisting, among other career options. GTC has received developmental approval from the Georgia Board of Nursing to offer the associate degree nursing program and is now accepting applications, with the program slated to start in September 2009.
For more information about any of Gwinnett Tech's more than 140 program options, contact 770-962-7580 or visit www.gwinnetttech.edu.
Get the latest news about Gwinnett Tech www.gwinnetttech.edu/news.
# # #
About Gwinnett Tech
Gwinnett Technical College, one of Georgia's largest technical colleges, serves more than 21,000 students annually to meet the workforce training needs of the region. The college offers more than 50 associate degree, diploma and certificate programs and hundreds of seminars, workshops and courses providing specialized training. Gwinnett Tech’s service area includes Gwinnett and North Fulton counties. Gwinnett Technical College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award the associate degree. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or callÂ 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Gwinnett Technical College.Â In addition, some college programs hold separate licensure or accreditation status with appropriate agencies. For more information, visitÂ www.GwinnettTech.edu.
A unit of the Technical College System of Georgia.