Welcome to the Gwinnett Tech online newsroom, featuring facts and stats about the college, plus our history, a media archive and photos for download. If you are a member of the media needing information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 678-495-3638.
October 09, 2008
Gwinnett Tech Students Make the Grade on National Exams
Health Science & Public Safety Grads Post Top Marks on Credentialing Tests
Gwinnett Tech students in Health Science and Public Safety and Service programs continue to make the grade at the national level, posting nearly perfect results on a host of recent national exams.
The most recent high performers include students from the Surgical Technology, Radiologic Technology, Respiratory Care, Veterinary Technology, Paramedic Technology, EMT & Medical Assisting programs. Graduates from each of these programs take a national exam specific to their field, posting these exceptional pass rates:
- Radiologic Technology100%
- Respiratory Care100%
- Surgical Technology93%
- Medical Assisting100%
- Veterinary Technology100%
- Paramedic Technology100%
"Gwinnett Tech students continue to post impressive results on the national certification exams for their fields. We couldn't be prouder of their commitment to their education and career, and we remain dedicated to our role in preparing them for these career milestones," says Dr. Jan McClure, Health Sciences division director, Gwinnett Tech.
Other notable results from these programs:
- Gwinnett Tech's Surgical Technology program, which also had a 100 percent participation rate on the national certification test, ranks among the top 20 of the 435 accredited surgical technology programs in the country, a status earned by student scores on the most recent Program Assessment Exam (PAE).
- The college's Veterinary Technology program has had a 100 percent pass rate on the Veterinary Technician National Examination since the first class of graduates sat for the exam in 1999.
- In the Medical Assisting program, both December and June graduates earned a 100 percent pass rate for the national certification exam offered by the Certifying Board of the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), far exceeding the national pass rate for the exam.
- Gwinnett Tech students' 100 percent pass rate on the National Registry of EMT (Intermediate) exam far exceeds the national first-time pass rate of 70 percent. Students taking this exam were part of the Gwinnett County Fire Department training program.
Gwinnett Tech offers associate of applied science degrees in Veterinary Technology, Radiologic Technology, Respiratory Care and Paramedic Technology, and diploma programs in Surgical Technology, Medical Assisting and in Firefighting/EMT. The college's Health Sciences division also offers programs in bioscience, dental lab technology and dental assisting, among other career options. GTC has received developmental approval from the Georgia Board of Nursing to offer the associate degree nursing program and is now accepting applications, with the program slated to start in September 2009.
For more information about any of Gwinnett Tech's more than 140 program options, contact 770-962-7580 or visit www.gwinnetttech.edu.
Get the latest news about Gwinnett Tech www.gwinnetttech.edu/news.
# # #
About Gwinnett Tech
Gwinnett Technical College, one of Georgia's largest technical colleges, is committed to delivering relevant knowledge to meet the workforce training needs of its community. The college offers more than 50 associate degree, diploma and certificate programs and hundreds of seminars, workshops and courses providing specialized training. GTC is Gwinnett County's largest provider of corporate training and now serves residents and businesses in north Fulton County. Gwinnett Technical College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the associate degree. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097,404-679-4500, www.sacscoc.org for questions about the accreditation of Gwinnett Technical College. For more information, visit www.GwinnettTech.edu.
A unit of the Technical College System of Georgia.