GWINNETT – NORTH FULTON – Gwinnett Technical College has once again been recognized as one of the best in the nation. The College has earned significant national recognition for their outstanding Veterans Services in Military Times® and Military Friendly®.
- Military Times released their Military Times Best: Colleges 2018 rankings, formerly known as Best for Vets and Gwinnett Tech is ranked 4th among career and technical colleges in the nation; for its commitment to education and providing opportunities to America’s veterans, service members and their families. This marks the second consecutive year Gwinnett Tech has moved up in the rankings. In 2017, the College was ranked 19 in the nation.
- Military Friendly® has ranked Gwinnett Technical College 8th in the nation for its commitment, effort and success in creating sustainable and meaningful benefit for the military community. Gwinnett Tech also earned the 2018 Military Friendly Gold® School designation by Victory Media, publisher of G.I. Jobs®, STEM JobsSM, and Military Spouse.
“Gwinnett Tech is honored to be named one of the top colleges in the nation for Veterans. Our Office of Veterans Affairs continually strives to help prospective and current students transition from military life to civilian life,” stated Dr. D. Glen Cannon, president of Gwinnett Technical College.
Travis Simpson, Coordinator of Gwinnett Tech’s Office of Veterans Affairs said, “Our office is deeply committed to helping veterans repurpose their military training and skills into lucrative careers in both public and private sectors. Through private philanthropy, Gwinnett Tech was the first technical college in Georgia to establish a dedicated Office of Veterans Affairs committed exclusively to serve veterans, spouses and dependents. Our community continues to financially assist the College in ensuring that those who have served our country, have outstanding service and assistance at Gwinnett Tech.”
Gwinnett Tech Veteran Services include:
- Veterans Educational Benefits Support
- Yellow Ribbon Program
- Veterans Scholarships
- Dedicated Computer Lab
- Student Veterans Organization
- Veterans Resource Advocate
- Career Counseling
Each year, the distinguished list of Military Friendly® Schools is provided to service members and their families across the country, helping them select post-secondary university and college, to receive the education and training needed to pursue a civilian career. Institutions earning the Military Friendly® School designation are evaluated using both public data sources and responses from Victory Media’s proprietary survey. Only 1,160 institutions in the U.S. were awarded the designation this year.
Annually, Military Times® invites career and technical colleges from across the U.S. to complete a rigorous survey comprised of 150 questions, about their operations involving current and former service members and their families. Additional data is then collected from the Veterans Affairs and Defense departments, as well as three Educational Department sources: the IPEDS Data Center, College Scorecard, and the Cohort Default Rate Database. Institutions are independently evaluated in five key categories: university culture, student support, academic outcomes/quality, academic policies and cost and financial aid.
For more information about Gwinnett Technical College’s commitment military students, visit the Office of Veterans Affairs or call 678-226-6343.