GWINNETT – On Friday, October 11, 2019, Dr. D. Glen Cannon, president of Gwinnett Technical College, welcomed community stakeholders in the Busbee Center’s Cisco Auditorium to celebrate Gwinnett Tech’s 35th anniversary and deliver his annual State of the College address.
Dr. Cannon recognized dignitaries, elected officials and civic leaders in attendance and was quick to thank the College Board of Directors, Foundation Trustees, academic advisory board members and corporate partners for their active engagement.
The College has experienced an unprecedented 37% growth serving students across its credit programs, with a record enrollment of over 9,500 students for the fall 2019 semester. Combined with economic development, continuing education, and adult education programs, the College served more than 21,000 students in 2019. Dr. Cannon stated “We’re growing because this is where the jobs are, this is where the value is.”
He praised the College’s 2019 successes including:
- The Commercial Construction Management program received national accreditation from the American Council for Construction Education (ACCE),
- First graduating class from the Gwinnett County Corrections program received welding certifications,
- Take Ten program was established with WIOA funding allowing Adult Education students to prepare for the GED exam and earn certification courses in information technology concurrently.
- Ranked third in the nation for serving veterans and their families
- Interior Design program named #1 in metro Atlanta among all Colleges and Universities.
Dr. Cannon also announced two new additions to the College’s credit programs. Beginning January 2020, Gwinnett Tech will debut the Mechatronics program to serve advanced manufacturing companies in Gwinnett and North Fulton counties, as well as, enter into a joint partnership with the Georgia Film Academy for a production assistant certificate program to be taught at the OFS site in Norcross, Georgia.
As part of the annual gathering, special recognitions were awarded. The Business Management Advisory Board was recognized as the 2019 Advisory Board of the Year. Jason Moss with the Georgia Manufacturing Alliance won Alumnus of the Year and Northside Hospital received the 2019 Distinguished Service Award.
For more information, visit GwinnettTech.edu or call 770-962-7580.