GWINNETT – Gwinnett Technical College students had an impressive showing at SkillsUSA, Georgia’s Post-Secondary State Leadership & Skills Conference hosted February 24-26, 2022, at the Georgia World Congress Center. Of the 20 Gwinnett Tech students who competed, 17 competition medals were earned; 10 gold, four silver, and three bronze.
Dr. D. Glen Cannon, president of Gwinnett Technical College, shares, “These students’ success is a testament to the superior faculty and staff the College has preparing them for successful and rewarding careers. In addition, the success of these students proves they are ready to excel and compete in a global workforce.”
The Gwinnett Tech 2022 award winners were:
- Logan Baker, Tina Kennedy, Chioma Ojiagbaje, Letisha Smith, Health Knowledge Bowl; Advising Instructor, Dr. Margaret Long
- Sharon Broady, Prepared Speech; Advising Instructors, Albena Asenova Belal and Danon Dastugue
- Edgar Bryant, Related Technical Math; Advising Instructor, Gregory Allen
- Nicole Carel, Diesel Equipment Technology; Advising Instructor, Johnny Stallings
- Ruth Orbegoso, Medical Terminology; Advising Instructor, Erin Baggett
- Nishi Sotkovsky, Medical Math; Advising Instructor, Dr. Margaret Long
- Maliyah Thompson, Customer Service; Advising Instructor, Charlene Clark
- Efosa Aguebor, Barbara Grant, Cybersecurity Team; Advising Instructor, Shane Archibald
- Dilan Gonzalez Arellano, Carpentry; Advising Instructor, Dennis Bowers
- Raquel Kangalee, Job Interview; Advising Instructor, Mohamed Belal
- Blake Corry, Diesel Equipment Technology; Advising Instructor, Johnny Stallings
- McKenzie Redner, Medical Terminology; Advising Instructor, Erin Baggett
- Monica Sifuentes Velazquez, Extemporaneous Speech; Advising Instructors, Albena Asenova Belal and Danon Dastugue
In addition, to this year’s student achievements, the College SkillsUSA chapter earned the Chapter of Excellence distinction at the gold level. The Chapter of Excellence recognizes achievements related to the integration of the SkillsUSA framework in the chapter program of work activities.
SkillsUSA contests begin locally and continue through the state and national levels. State Gold Medalists now have the opportunity to compete in the SkillsUSA annual National Leadership and Skills Conference in Atlanta, Ga, June 20-24, 2022. The National SkillsUSA Championships showcase the skills of post-secondary students through hands-on competitions in leadership, health occupations, trades/industry, and technical contests. For more information, visit GwinnettTech.edu or call 770-962-7580.