Gwinnett Technical College is a member of the Georgia Film Consortium (GFC). The Georgia Film Academy (GFA) supports the GFC, which is a unique-in-the-nation, state-wide collaboration of institutions of the University System of Georgia, Technical College System of Georgia and Independent institutions that offer professional courses in film, television, digital entertainment, Esports and game development.
The Georgia Film Academy is a professional organization, a unit of the University System of Georgia, which is committed to leading and advancing the entertainment arts industry and its workforce in Georgia. The GFA promotes rigorous professional training, and supports opportunities for union-covered film and television production craft internships and placement in creative industries, apprenticeships and jobs in an effort to build a permanent and sustainable industry in the state. On behalf of the USG, TCSG, and their institutions, as well as private higher education institutions in Georgia who choose to use its resources, the GFA is dedicated to the development of both Georgia’s workforce and the industry which will utilize it.
As a student in the Gwinnett Tech’s On-Set Production Assistant, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Learn from professionals in the Film, Television, and Digital Entertainment industries.
- Take classes at an industry hub facilitated with a package of professional-level equipment.
- Participate in on-set, hands-on experience, and simulated “real world” projects, coupled with in-classroom coursework.
- Work hands-on with professional production equipment (cameras, sound gear, lights, etc.) as well as production trucks and generators on studio soundstages.
- Apply for an internship or apprenticeship on a major film production set, television studio, editing house, or digital entertainment lab in order to develop recognized film credits, through partnerships with professional productions.
- Receive one-on-one job counseling to include resume preparation, job research, and job placement outreach from GFA.
- Earn any of three Georgia Film Academy industry certifications, recognized by production companies, studios, networks, vendors, and other entertainment businesses which may employ Georgians.
Current Course Offerings Through the Georgia Film Consortium
The GFC semester schedule follows the eCore Common Academic Calendar: https://ecore.usg.edu/about/academic-calendar/
- For questions regarding classes at Gwinnett Tech and how they work within your degree programs, please contact: Terry See, TSee@GwinnettTech.edu
- For questions or more information about the Georgia Film Academy, please contact Academics Coordinator Emma Smith, firstname.lastname@example.org
What are my program options?
Take the first step towards this career and apply for next semester! Important dates and deadlines are listed to get you started and if you’re looking for ways to pay for your education, explore our scholarships for this program, as well as state and federal funds for which you may be eligible. You can also learn about our faculty and clubs and organizations to join!
Gwinnett Tech builds relationships with local subject-matter experts to develop advisory boards, who provide feedback that ensures we deliver relevant industry-specific curriculum for today’s high-demand careers.
Tell me more about this program.
Not only did the $9.2 billion film and television industry in Georgia produce more than 351 film and television shows in 2019, but these sets were also the location of hundreds of jobs behind the scenes. As the third-largest production center in the nation, Georgia is home to a workforce with more than 200,000 people involved in this growing part of the economy.
What career options will I have?
- On-Set Production Assistant (PA)
- Art Department: set dressers, props
- Sound: mixer, boom operator, utility
- Camera: operator, camera assistants (1st and 2nd)
- Electric: on-set lamp operators
- Grip: on-set, dolly grip
- Script Supervision
- Video Assist
- Office Production Assistant
How much will it cost?
Gwinnett Tech offers affordability at $100 per credit hour + fees. Great opportunities for scholarships and financial aid with HOPE Grant, HOPE scholarship, HOPE Career Grants and more!