Dual Enrollment at Gwinnett Tech

I Want to Be Successful

1. How do I sign up for college orientation?

Orientation is highly recommended. Students will learn how to access their Gwinnett Tech student email, blackboard, and other helpful college tips. Sign-up for a session on the Orientation website. If you have questions contact Student Success at StudentSuccess@GwinnettTech.edu.

2. How can I obtain reasonable classroom accommodations?

Students will need to meet with the Disability Services Center. Please visit the Disability Services page for more information.

3. What are some tasks I can complete in the first week of the semester?

  • Log in to Blackboard for each class – online classes AND face-to-face classes
  • Attend your on-campus class(es)
  • Secure textbooks if you have not already done so
  • Review the course syllabus, along with dates and deadlines for assignments
  • Check your Gwinnett Tech student email daily

4. What and when is “Drop/Add”?

Drop/Add occurs the first three days of the semester. It is an opportunity for students to make changes to their schedule without an impact on the grade received.

5. I’m not doing well in class. What should I do?

  • Contact your college instructor, visit the Learning Success Center, or the STEM Center,
  • You can also view the many resources available to download in areas such as time management, decision making, study skills and more.

6. How can I withdraw from a course?

  • The decision to withdraw should be discussed with your high school counselor, to ensure you remain on track to meet your high school graduation requirements.
  • You should also meet with an enrollment advisor to discuss the impact of a W on your Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
  • Check the academic calendar for the deadline to earn a “W”. Withdrawing after the deadline will result in a “WF” (Withdraw-Fail).
  • Dual enrollment funding only allows 2 withdrawals from a course for which dual enrollment has been applied while participating in dual enrollment.
  • Contact the Enrollment Support Team from your Gwinnett Tech student email account and request a withdrawal form.

7. If I have to miss class one day, what should I do?

Students can email the college instructor from their Gwinnett Tech student email account. All course policies are listed on the syllabus. The Office of Dual Enrollment office does not contact instructors on behalf of students.

8. How can I use DegreeWorks to know what classes in my program of study I still need to complete?

  • Enrolled students can access Degree Works to view the list of required courses within their program.

9. How can I contact my instructor before the semester begins?

Please watch this video for instructions regarding how to contact your instructor.

10. Is there a virtual meeting time for online courses?

Please contact your course instructor to find out if your online class will have any virtual sessions.