If you’re interested in applying to Gwinnett Technical College but need to update placement test scores, you’re in luck! Both the Lawrenceville and Alpharetta-North Fulton campus Assessment Centers administer the ACCUPLACER test.
NEXT GENERATION ACCUPLACER is a placement test to help measure a student’s skills in reading, writing and math.
The tests are:
- Reading – 20 multiple-choice questions
The test measures your ability to derive meaning from a range of texts and to determine the meaning of words and phrases in short and extended contexts. Categories include Information & Ideas, Rhetoric, Synthesis and Vocabulary.
- Writing – 25 multiple-choice questions
The test measures your ability to revise and edit multi-paragraph text for effective expression of ideas and Standard English conventions such as punctuation
- Arithmetic – 20 multiple-choice questions
The test focuses on computation, order of operations, estimation, comparing values in different formats and recognizing equivalent values. 4-function calculator available for some questions.
- Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics (QAS) – 20 multiple-choice questions
The test measures your ability to perform selected mathematical concepts focusing on computational fluency, applications and conceptual understanding. This includes Linear Applications & Graphs, Factoring, Functions, Polynomial Equations, Exponential & Logarithmic Equations and Trigonometry. 4-function and square root calculator available for some questions
Questions are computer-adaptive (a student’s response to each question drives the difficulty level of the next question). The score range is 200 – 300. Final scores are based on the number of questions answered correctly and the difficulty level of the questions answered correctly.
- Next Generation ACCUPLACER tests are all multiple-choice
- There is no time limit on the tests
- It can be taken all at once or in parts
- An on-screen calculator is available for selected questions
- A student is allowed one retest per section and must wait 14 days from the original test date. The retest fee is $25 per section.
Visit Next Generation ACCUPLACER for sample questions and explanations.
Location and Schedule:
- Lawrenceville Campus: Building 100, Room 528
5150 Sugarloaf Parkway, Lawrenceville, GA 30043
- Students can schedule their Accuplacer exam for Lawrenceville online. Schedule Exam
- Alpharetta-North Fulton Campus: Building A, Room 117
2875 Old Milton Parkway, Alpharetta, GA 30009
- Students can schedule their Accuplacer exam for Alpharetta-North Fulton online. Schedule Exam
To facilitate the registration process, you must use your Student ID number (900xxxxxx). Your Gwinnett Tech student ID number is located in the “Welcome” email you receive from Gwinnett Technical College after the submission of your Admissions application.
Tests are not timed but allow at least 2 ½ hours to complete the exam.
Current picture ID is required for admittance. Hand-held calculators are not permitted.
If you need to have your ACCUPLACER or COMPASS scores sent to another institution, please fill out the COMPASS/ACCUPLACER Score Request Form.
Students are highly encouraged to leave all valuables locked up in their car.
Retest Policy: One retake per section is allowed. To retest, you must wait 14 days from the time you took your first ACCUPLACER test. The cost for a retest is $25 per section. (The Assessment Center at the Lawrenceville campus no longer accepts cash payments.) Once you begin the Learning Support track, you must complete the required developmental courses.
Please note: Students that are taking the ACCUPLACER exam for Admissions at Gwinnett Technical College must submit and pay the application fee before taking the test.